Friday, February 15, 2008

Old Photo Friday: The Cadence of Us

(Circa 1980 something)

19 years we have shared together...and more to come.

This man is amazing. He does the laundry, even the ironing. He puts up with all of my crap, my issues, my enormous rear end, and so rarely complains. He makes me laugh. He supports me when I cry. He loves me unconditionally, in spite of so much. He works harder than anyone I know. He has so many talents that make me proud.

When I look at this old photo, my favorite from around the time when we first met, I see our carefree days of youth when we only thought things were complicated. Back then, the biggest thing we really had to face was an unplanned pregnancy...that turned out to be our greatest gift! Life was so much easier back then...little did we know!

God has blessed us with so much, and I realize daily that I do not deserve any of it. The blood of Jesus covers me...I am whole and forgiven because of it, but I sometimes struggle with the realization that God loves me that much!

This man, the one that I love, in the last three years has endured unbelievable things... a heart surgery for an extemely rare condition, brain surgery to remove a softball size tumor, a second surgery nine months later to remove the golf ball size tumor that grew back in the same place. Through all of this, this man has remained strong, confident, capable, filled with faith and love. He is my miracle. I love him more than I could ever fully express.

This past summer, while working on my master's degree, in my poetry class, I wrote a poem for this man. I will share it with you as a lame attempt for you to catch a glimpse of how much I love and appeciate what we have.



The Cadence of Us
For A.

Your hand brushes against my bare shoulder
Skee be de bop
I feel your fingers playing on the base of my neck
Shoo be do bee
Your embrace is electric
Skee be de bop bop bop
I lean in closer
Shoo be do bee wop bop
Your hand guides my chin up close to yours
Skee be de bop bop bop oodlee aw wop
Our eager lips meet
Shoo be do bee wop bop bop oodlee oodlee
Ah!
July 2007


I hope you are able to snuggle up with a special someone this weekend and make some jazz!

4 comments:

Christina said...

what a beautiful tribute to an amazing man! Wow, you have been through a lot together.

Rose said...

Very nice tribute to him. I agree, you have been through a lot and God has been faithful to you as you have been to Him.

Arizaphale said...

Ah yes...all that jazz!!!!!!!! Great feeling in that old photo...

Mendy said...

Ahhh, I got butterflies in my stomach! I hope I still feel that way about my honey after many years! How awesom that the two of you have each other!