Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mini-vacation

Road trippin' with my very best friend in the whole wide world, S.
We are off on an adventure...a conference for English teachers at Callaway Gardens! YIPPEE...
No school, no families, no responsibilities...well, not many...when I return, I will post some photos of our grand journey. This poem, S. once shared with me, expresses what we feel about the going...the trip...the part that we enjoy most. Hope you like it as much as we do. Enjoy the rest of your week!

The Sacred
by: Stephen Dunn

After the teacher asked if anyone had
a sacred place
and the students figeted and shrank

in their chairs, the most serious of them all
said it was his car,
being in it alone, his tape deck playing

things he'd chosen, and the others knew the truth
had been spoken
and began speaking about their rooms

their hiding places, but the car kept coming up
the car in motion,
music filling it, and sometimes one other person

who understood the bright alter of the dashboard
and how far away
a car could take him from the need

to speak, to answer, the key
in having a key
and putting it in, and going

2 comments:

natalie said...

Wow...to be that honest.

I'm trying to think where my sacred place would be. I know where it was growing up. That place where many a secret conversations took place, where hands were held, where private moments were shared and public celebrations took place. But do I have a place like that now? Maybe not a physical place, but I definitely have somewhere I go in my mind. Hm...I'm thinking about this.

Arizaphale said...

Yea....not sure I have one anymore either.....my bedroom maybe? I have to share that. My workspace? I share that too...(daughter)....interesting.