Monday, February 18, 2008

BSM: Color Creeps In





I live in the south, and the winter weather here is sporadic at best. One day it might be 75 degrees, only for us to discover the next morning that it has dropped to 29 degrees. Local people pray for warmer temperatures, but I am really one of those strange sorts that does not. I always hope for snow...lovely fresh falling snowflakes that make the world stop (literally) and wait for the whisper of winter. It is rare here for it to snow, but it does once every so often. When it does, I was not kidding, everything here shuts down- schools, stores, traffic (except for those truly foolish people who think they can drive it in without any precautions of any kind...we always see them in a ditch on the nightly news). It is just so rare and usually unexpected, that we do not have the means to prepare the roadways.



Alas, it is nearing the end of February, so the likelihood of snow for me is disappearing with every new sunrise. Yesterday, we had horrible thunderstorms, and even tornado sightings, so the weather was quite unpredictable. I did not even leave the house. Still not feeling terribly well, and sometimes I just hate driving and being in such rainy weather. Sunday found me curled up on the couch with a book and the cats. The weather was so bad, I thought I would have to rely on the photo of the painting above my fireplace...(I love the reds and blues; it is a painting done by a young girl in Romainia. My oldest brother scored it off of EBay and gave it to me when he moved.)




I am off from work today, as it is a holiday. So, this morning, I ventured out into our yard to see precisely what damage we had from the storm, if any. I imagined that all traces of color would have been washed away with the torrents of rain that came through. However, I spotted these dainty pink blooms hanging on for their sweet smelling lives! Also, the rain made the moss between the stepping stones look a refrshing green color. The sight of these shades actually made my heart ready for the upcoming burst of glory that spring is here. It literally is right around the corner.
I hope your Monday is a lovely one. For more color, see Tracy and the gang.

9 comments:

natalie said...

I so love your yard...everything about your house, actually. I completely understand why you are in love with it.

I've got a little itch for the pink blossoms that explode in the spring...the itch usually starts around this time of year for me. The time between Valentine's Day and spring seems dreadful sometimes.

Christina said...

Oooh, how I love that pink flower! It is so lovely, and makes me wish I could garden without killing everything. I seem to have a black thumb. Well, I will enjoy you beautiful flowers!

mandaroo63 said...

Sounds like the weather here! One day it's in the70s and one day (last Thursday) it snowed! It was alight sprinkle, but a 1st for us since we've moved here. I love the 1st photo, and really love the colors in the painting.

Bonnie said...

Did you do that painting ??

Just got your comment ... I'm glad you are inspired ! I find that I am often inspired visiting everyone's blogs ... seeing what works for them and putting bits and pieces of those things into my life that would work for me.

I hope you like the recipes ! Which ones did you print ? Can't wait to hear what you think once you make them ...

kim said...

Oh what beautiful color. I cannot wait for a little touch of spring here in IL - Northern IL where it still feels like the dead of winter with our 20 degree days and single digit nights.
Thanks for that little preview. A little hope in my day.

Rose said...

Wonderful, colorful pictures! I love them all.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

wow - fabulous color! i'm jealous. everything around here is still brown.

Maggie said...

I love those shots - gorgeous! That color is just fantastic!

Arizaphale said...

Andi they are really creative shots and the combination of them is good too. To begin with I thought the stepping stones were an aerial view of flower beds with violet flowers packed tightly together in the middle. The colours are quite startling there. And the painting was a great find. I love it!!! Hope you're feeling better. There's nothing nicer than curling up in front of the fire with a good book on a miserable winter's day. Enjoy.