Saturday, April 5, 2008

Welcome to My Weekend!

First of all, last night was girls night in at our house (with the exception of the husband, and all of the girls said he was allowed to stay-LOL!) The daughter and four of her closest girlfriends all decended upon our house with movies, margarita mix, snacks, and a multitude of gripes and complaints towards several young men that just had to be vented! Everyone, glass in hand, perched in some comfortable spot around our living room, while we watched one of the most beautiful films (so I thought at the beginning) called Into the Wild. Rated R, (not for children)lovely cinemetography, interesting angles, a unique concept based on a true story, and a handsome leading man...what could be better? Well, by the end of the film, I was shedding tears and was so disturbed that I honestly had difficulty sleeping later. I will not spoil it for those that might want to watch it, but I will say that despite whatever unspeakable things this young man felt his parents did to him, no parent deserves what his ultimately got. Perhaps because I am a mother, maybe this is why it disturbed me so much. I am not sure...I am still mulling it over in my mind. I will cherish the lovely sights I was able to see of the Alaskan wilderness that I will never personally witness in my lifetime, but the human nature side of the film left me perplexed and feeling sad. Despite the feelings the film left in me, it was so nice for ours to once again be the house where all of the girls gathered!

Next, today is Saturday...a rainy one at that. We are all feeling lazy and without much purpose today. Three of the fours girls are still here, and I made homemade calzones for an early dinner. They are throwing down with the Wii- boxing like I have never seen girls box before...Hilarious!
















Not the best photo, but there were some serious knock outs going on mind you! I can hear the crowd cheering from here, so someone just won! And the re-match is on...

Even though I have not gotten much done at all so far this weekend, it has been a nice comfortable time with my family and the daughter's friends. I have a baby shower tomorrow and a massive amout of school preparations before Monday, so I will spend the rest of today pretending that I am free without a care in the world!

By the way, if you've never made homemade calzones, and you'd like to, check out the following recipe. This is only the second time that I have made them, but everyone seemed to like them, and right now there are no leftovers!

Calzones
1 loaf of frozen bread dough, thawed (I used two loaves for two huge calzones)
1 pound of mild Italian sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
(I also used diced grilled chicken and pepperoni in addition to sausage)
1 cup of shredded Provolone cheese
1 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of Ricotta cheese (I left this out, since we do not like it.)
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1 egg white
Roll out the bread dough on a floured counter to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness. In a medium skillet, cook sausage and drain. Spread meat, cheeses, and spices over dough. Roll up carefully so loaf looks like a long loaf of French bread. Seal long edge and tuck under the ends. Place the rolled up loaf seam side down on greased cookie sheet (I used cooking spray to lightly coat the cookie sheet.) Glaze the loaf with egg whites. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and enjoy!

Note: This time, I made 1 sausage, pepperoni and cheese calzone and 1 chicken and cheese calzone. Next time, when I have green peppers, black olives or other vegetables, I will try those too.

3 comments:

Sabba and Nanny said...

Andi,
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I still tear up when I hear the soundtrack from August Rush. Another movie I recommend, which we went to see on our anniversary, is Vantage Point. It was very creatively done and not at all like anything I've ever seen before. It takes place in Salamanca, Spain. It is very violent, so not for kids, but we found it entertaining.

We learned to love calzone when we lived in Italy when I was stationed on the U.S. Sixth Fleet flagship.

All for now....Jim from yeshliblog

natalie said...

Can I come next time??? I can vent about boys and I can eat calzones. It'll be a while before I can drink a margarita, but I can mix and pour!

Oh, how I wish for a day like that. AND Nona LOVES Wii boxing. My sweet, docile, peace-keeping mother LOVES boxing. Makes me laugh.

Arizaphale said...

Hi Andi. Firstly thanks for all your wonderful comments of late. I love reading thoughtful responses and it's so good to have a kindred spirit in the middle school teaching dept :-)
Secondly, that sounds like a great weekend. I look forward to similar evenings and discussions with the BA and her friends as they grow up. The calzones look deadly but delicious. Still they can't be any worse than the McDonalds I had for breakfast.